(September 19, 2014) Even though National Truck Driver Appreciation Week comes to a close today, that doesn’t mean the appreciation should stop. There is a good chance that everything from the materials used to construct the building you are sitting in to the computer screen on which you are reading this was delivered to you by a truck driver. To understand fully the important role truck drivers play in everyday life, here are some quick facts from The American Trucking Association:
- There are 3.2 million professional truck drivers
- They log close to 421 billion miles each year
- Truck drivers transport nearly 70% of the U.S. freight
- They moved 9.7 billion tons of freight in the past year
- They are responsible for 80% of all U.S. commodities
These hard working men and women are truly heroes of the road, and without them America could not function.
It has been amazing to see all the respect and recognition truck drivers have been getting this week, but here at Odyssey we don’t think it should stop. Whether it’s telling a driver how much you appreciate them at a road stop or just giving them a friendly smile while driving, they deserve it all.
Let us know in the comment section how you show your appreciation to truck drivers!