The Odyssey Global Logistics PlatformSM provides comprehensive, web-based functionality that automates logistics processes and provides accurate analytical data so clients can make sound, strategic decisions. The client-proven platform is exclusively available to Odyssey’s logistics services clients and is not licensed separately.
The Shipment Optimizer and Booking Manager provides the following features:
- Planning and execution of tank truck, truckload, less-than-truckload, air and ocean shipments.
- Automatic carrier selection based on a routing guide and client-specified business rules.
- Support of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for shipment planning and execution, such as carrier performance and customer conformance to the routing guide.
- Extensive support of global geographic location data, including native languages such as Chinese and Japanese. This permits clients that use, for example, Japanese language customer address data in their ERP system to send to OL&T for use in transportation planning.
- Automated carrier and LSP booking and tendering.
- Shipment optimization to reduce overall transportation costs through algorithms that look for savings opportunities such as multi-stop consolidations, aggregation (grouping of shipments between a single origin and destination) and continuous moves.
- HazMat support to ensure correct carrier selection (i.e., HazMat certified carrier) and visual flagging of HazMat shipments to carriers.
- Authorized client personnel can access a web-based routing and rating tool
- Client-specific rates and routes are retrieved
- Client logistics and sales staff can access freight rates information
- Access available for suppliers to enable them to route inbound shipments
Key features include:
- The system receives freight invoices directly from carriers and other logistics service providers, who send EDI invoices to Odyssey. Hard-copy carrier invoices are imaged and are available to customers over the web. Spreadsheet invoices (common in Asia) can be uploaded as well
- Freight invoices are compared with actual shipment data and with Odyssey’s rates master data
- Freight invoice and spending data is available to clients for immediate visibility and control
- Electronic freight cost estimates are provided prior to invoice receipt, allowing the client to accrue accurately for anticipated freight costs
- Notifications of actual shipment and cost details are broken down to a line-item level and sent to the client’s accounts payable systems
- Pre-audit occurs at the line-item level (e.g., line haul, fuel, demurrage, assessorials, etc.), allowing accuracy and control of the audit and payment process
- The process ensures a smooth flow of payments to carriers. Any disputes are settled in advance of payment, and carriers are provided with feedback to enable accurate billing in the future
- Auditing can provide savings of 1%-3% from incorrect billings
- Visibility Manager allows clients web-based visibility into all shipments, which appear on a single screen, regardless of the carrier or mode of transport (tank truck, truckload, less-than-truckload, rail, air, ocean, small parcel).
- Users can perform sophisticated queries or just do a simple search. Search output can be downloaded into Excel.
- Event Manager allows Odyssey personnel and clients to set up automated notifications and alerts based on tailored business rules.
- Clients can provide a login ID and password to customers, so they can have secure access to visibility on their incoming shipments.
- Odyssey provides customers with a web service that allows them to integrate shipment tracking information into their own applications, such as customer-facing e-commerce sites.
Sample dashboard metrics include:
- Shipment volumes (by mode and carrier)
- Top shipping sites
- Distance shipped
- Pounds shipped
- Export containers shipped (by country)
- Carbon footprint
Some features of the Bulk Rack Scheduler include:
- Plant personnel and customer service staff have convenient access to each loading rack’s daily schedule over the web.
- Business rules such as rack operating hours and restrictions on which materials can be loaded on each rack are enforced.
- The workload required at each plant to manage rack schedules can be reduced and can also replace ad-hoc methods, i.e. spreadsheets.
The platform maintains a performance history for all carriers. Performance is logged as shipment transactions take place. Some of the event-driven performance indices include the following:
- On-time delivery
- On-time pickup
- Tender no response
- Tender rejection
- Tender waffle
- Proof-of-delivery turnaround time
- Claim turnaround time
- Claims cost ratio
- Visibility by all authorized parties to each step in the export process, regardless of where in the world they may be located
- Online access to shipping documents, with automated notification when documents are ready for viewing by interested parties
- Integration to government export systems (i.e., U.S. Automated Export System)
- Electronic communication with carriers for bills of lading and shipping instructions
- Automated notification when documents are ready for viewing by interested parties
Some features of the Asset Manager include:
- Flexibility to monitor the status of multiple types of assets
- Tracks maintenance events and highlights assets that are due for maintenance
- Assets can be tied back to a shipment record to determine its last location
- Records can be sorted or searched by any parameter and can be exported to Excel