When the average person sees a tractor-trailer or a bulk-tank truck on the road, they may not stop to think about the person driving it. In this case, that individual is an intelligent, loving mother who spends her working days hauling hazardous materials in southern Texas. Her name is Rhonda Simpson, a company driver for Linden Bulk Transportation, a subsidiary of Odyssey Logistics.
A driver since April of 2005 and an employee of Linden for the last six months, Rhonda has taken immediately to her new work family at Linden. Starting her career working long-haul shipments of crude oil, Rhonda frequently spent ten or more days on the road at a time, sleeping away from home all but a few days a month, struggling to find the proper balance between work and raising her family. After doing this for years, Rhonda was eventually transferred to making local and regional short-haul runs, which she much preferred, but the oil field her previous organization was working later ran dry.
“The fields dried up, and the next thing you know our fleet dropped from 68 drivers to six in the matter of a few months.” Rhonda explained. After a lengthy search, Rhonda eventually found an opportunity to haul bleach for Linden out of the Houston terminal, and although she’s only six months into the job, she’s loving the work.
“Linden gave me the chance to do what I want to do, which is drive. I wouldn’t want to do anything else,” said Rhonda, “Linden afforded me the opportunity to be home every night, to eat home cooked meals with my family every day, and at the same time make good money and a good living.”
With her newly found free time, Rhonda goes to the gym with her son, making up for lost exercise on the road, which she proclaimed to be the most difficult aspect of life behind the wheel now that her kids can take care of themselves. Rhonda came from a sports-oriented family, with her father pitching knuckleballs for the Philadelphia Philly’s minor-league team during the 60’s, and at the time of this writing, Rhonda will be spending her evenings watching recordings of US Open tennis matches and Houston Astros games.
Rhonda is like many of us, balancing a busy schedule with life’s other challenges and opportunities. When asked what she wanted the world to know about her profession and professional truck drivers, Rhonda stated, “I wish that people would change their perspective a little bit about truck drivers. We’re not just obstacles on the road. I’ve met a lot of great men and women out here – men with grandchildren who brag about their kids on the radio and who offer this country a service that we simply couldn’t operate without; when the trucks stop rolling, everything stops.”
Men and women like Rhonda are indeed what keeps this country moving forward, and the work that our drivers do shouldn’t be lost on us. Next time you do a deep clean around the house, think for a moment on how the bleach in your hand got there – there’s a chance that the hard-working mother down the street is the one to thank.
- Strong network of terminals in New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, and Pennsylvania.
- Sign-on bonus up to $6,000, referral bonus up to $4,000
- Competitive earnings (up to $200k per year) and fuel rates
- Recent O/O rate increases
- Paid delay time
- Weekly settlements via direct deposit
- Clean roadside inspection bonus
- Financial management tools available- Equinox
- Additional pay for pump and compressor loads
- Free parking at our terminal
- Late-model equipment available now
- Regional and OTR steady work all year round
- Knowing that on-site maintenance and tractor wash bay available at our terminal by local vendor
- Bestpass available: toll savings, no upfront costs, no credit card needed, charges come right out of settlements
- Up to 2 weeks’ paid training, if needed.
- Occupational accident insurance
- Aflac also available
Plus Much More…
- Minimum 25 years of age
- Valid CDL-A with 2 years’ verifiable driving experience
- Hazmat and tanker endorsements
- TWIC Card
- Good driving record
- Must pass a DOT physical and drug screening
Call us Now to Apply
or Fill out the Form Below
ABOUT LINDEN BULK TRANSPORTATION:
Linden Bulk Transportation is the largest regional tank truck carrier in the Northeast with headquarters in New Jersey. We supply the nation’s leading manufacturers of chemical, petroleum, and bulk liquid products. Linden Bulk is proud to service its customers with over 30 years’ expertise. Learn more here.