A tanker truck loaded with diesel fuel overturned and exploded into flames along I-81 near Harrisburg, PA on Thursday. The truck was traveling from Carlisle when it flipped over on a ramp near the I-81 Bridge.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation announced the following road closures in connection with this incident:
- Southbound I-81 is closed at Exit 70 in Dauphin County – motorists are being detoured
- Northbound I-81 is closed at Exit 59 in Cumberland County – motorists are detoured
- An alternative for motorists around the I-81 closure between Exits 59 and 70 is the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76). Tolls will be waived between the Carlisle interchange (Exit 226) and the Harrisburg East interchange just south of Harrisburg (Exit 247).
- The ramp from northbound I-81 to westbound Route 22/322.
- The ramp from southbound I-81 to eastbound Route 22 toward the City of Harrisburg.
- Eastbound Route 22 through the I-81 Exit 67 interchange.
The bridge has been seriously damaged and is no longer deemed safe. The spans over both northbound and southbound I-81 will be demolished and removed. Prep work began last night and demolition should start today. Officials say there is “no clear timetable” as to when repairs will be completed.