Pope Francis will visit the United States next week with stops in multiple metropolitan areas. The Pope is scheduled to visit Washington DC, New York City, and Philadelphia beginning September 22nd. Preparation for the papal visit includes joint security planning efforts from federal, state, and local agencies (i.e. school closures, taxi services, restrictions for residents and business owners, as well as major roadway closures).
Operational issues are likely for freight moving to, from, or through the above cities as roads are shutdown during Pope Francis’ visit. (Specific road closures in the links below)
The Secret Service has published the following transportation plan/security restrictions for each location:
September 22-24, 2015
September 25, 2015
New York City, NY:
September 26 -27, 2015
- Papal Visit to Philadelphia
- Papal Visit to Philadelphia – Walking Routes
- Papal Visit to Philadelphia – SEPTA Festival Map
- Papal Visit to Philadelphia Perimeter Map
- Papal Visit to Philadelphia – SEPTA Regional Rail System Map
- Papal Visit to Philadelphia – Waterway Restrictions Map
Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, stated it simply-“Traffic’s going to be a mess.” Please feel free to reach out to our experts if you have any questions about how this disruption could possibly affect your freight.